- Bootloader: A piece of software that loads the operating system.
- Clover: This is the bootloader that we will be using. We need this for a few important things. Most importantly:
- macOS installs on a partition formatted in either APFS or HFS+. A standard (UEFI) BIOS cannot read from these formats.
- It injects kexts on boot.
- Handles passing information like the SMBIOS to macOS
- and a lot more.
- Kext: A combination of Kernel Extension. These are additions to the macOS kernel which you can think of like drivers on windows.